My last few weeks can be described with one word NEW.
First of all I got a new job which was followed with new tasks, day schedule, priorities (my hobbies have to wait till I have more free time ). I got new bike – OK, not really new because it’s older then me ;) but it’s my OWN and I don’t need to ask other people for favors any more (moreover – it’s as Dutch as it can be – Gazella without gears and with back break ;). I’ve discovered new friends.
Then came WP related news. Release of WP 2.5 that made me to think about upgrade (my previous version was 2.2.3) and get new theme since I still had the one I started this website with.
Before I even started to look for new template I knew already it has to be one from those coded by Sadish Bala since I know without checking their functionality and usability suits my needs. I’ve chosen Intense (one sidebar on right side) but redesigned it a little: made it wider, changed colors and some functionalities.
Then I’ve downloaded WP 2.5. Honestly the main reason I didn’t upgrade earlier were built in tags with very poor tag cloud. But I’ve found Configurable Tag Cloud Plugin by Keith Solomon so I lost my last excuse ;). I’ve spent almost two weeks (result of new job – very limited spare time) playing with it, testing plugins. I have to admit they did really good job and list of new features is long and impressive. So very shortly what I like/don’t like:
- it took me a while to get used to new layout of admin panel; what for they moved Settings, Plugins and Users tabs to right side? Somehow it doesn’t make much sense for me
- in Write Post/Page panel categories and page template were moved below editor leaving empty space in the sidebar
- there is no list of all tags visible
- ID’s of posts, pages, categories and links disappeared from the Manage panel which results in extra work when using functions exclude/include based on ID
- cool Flash Uploader for media files (note! In WP 2.5 it doesn’t work properly in Opera browser; fortunately WP 2.5.1 already has a fix for it ;)
- it’s good to know new version of plugin is available and link to it is included; but I wouldn’t have trust automate upgrade option; it didn’t work for Lightbox and WP-Highslide plugins
- I can easily set size of thumbnails and medium (new option) pictures; no more messing with core files ;)
That list isn’t complete. It contains only thoughts I had after one evening with WP 2.5. Just very first impression ;).
I hope I finally find some time for new posts as well. Especially that I’m full of ideas :).
28th April 2008 add your comment »